March Madness Month at Madroña!
The "Move of the Month" is the Push-Up Plank.
There are three simple steps. Repeat your sequence, remember to alternate which arm you lead with and be sure to breath throughout the exercise. More
Check out the latest fitness newsletter
February Fitness Month at Madroña!
The "Move of the Month" is the Plank.
The plank exercise is a well known core exercise that strengthens The
plank (also called a front hold, hover, or abdominal bridge) is an
isometric core strength exercise that involves maintaining a difficult
position for extended periods of time. The most common plank positions
are the front plank which is held in a push-up position and the bent arm
plank or Dolphin pose, with the body's weight borne on forearms,
elbows, and toes.
The core is made up primarily of our abdominal muscles, lower back, hips and to a lesser degree our shoulders, middle back, glutes (bum) and our upper legs.
What are the benefits of core strength training?
- Greater efficiency of movement
- Improved body control and balance
- Increased power output from both the core musculature and peripheral muscles such as the shoulders, arms and legs
- Reduced risk of injury (the core muscles act as shock absorbers for jumps and rebounds etc.)
- Improved balance and stability
- Improved athletic performance!
Join us for the "February Fitness Challenge" this month! How long can you hold the plank?