Parking Lot and Traffic Safety
Be part of the solution... not the problem! The Madroña parking lot and the church parking lot present our most significant safety problems. We need to be diligent as drivers and parents about following the California Vehicle Code and the safety rules that we have in place. After school schedules can cause drivers to make hurried decisions and at times unsafe movements with their automobiles. School parking lots are crowded. Always remember that parking lots can be very difficult and frustrating. Be safe, model safe behavior and be part of the solution.
Please follow our safety rules to keep all of our students safe when they are dropped off and picked up from school every day.
Emmanuel Presbyterian Church Parking Lot Rules
- Drive no more then 10 MPH through the parking lot and 25 MPH on the streets around the school.
- Please follow the flow of traffic as indicated by the direction arrows painted on the asphalt in the parking lot.
- Children should exit from the right side of the vehicle (not into a moving traffic lane).
- Do not leave car unattended during drop off or pickup times.
- Move car forward to allow other cars to pull behind you during drop off and pickup times.
- Park in parking spots and do not block other cars or driveways even for "just a couple of minutes." This is particular problem during Kindergarten pickup. Walk your child across the lot if parking in the center. Also, consider parking at the church to drop off or pickup.
- Listen to and follow the instructions given by the campus supervisors or parking lot volunteers even if their directions are inconvenient. Set a good example for all of our children.
- Keep both hands on the steering wheel. Do not talk on your mobile phone while driving in the parking lot.
- Parents/guardians must park in a parking space with the ignition turned off, if they leave their vehicle to walk a child into the school.
- Children are not permitted to walk into or through the parking lot unless accompanied by an adult.
- Children who must cross a street to walk to parent’s vehicle or to walk home must walk on sidewalks and cross in crosswalks at the street corners.
- Do not park in handicapped spaces without a handicapped permit.
- Do not park in unauthorized designated spaces (i.e. - carnival winner, etc). The 2012-2013 designated parking space is reserved exclusively for the McNamus Family. Please refrain from parking in their space.
- Children should not loiter in resident's yards, disturb their landscaping, sit on their lawn/porch or climb in their trees. Nobody likes to have their yard abused in this way.
Please observe the rules established by our neighborhood church if you choose to use their parking lot.
Remember, it takes just one driver driving the wrong way to endanger children & drivers and to enrage the property owners.
- Observe the one way driving arrows. Drive in the West driveway and exit through the East driveway.
- Park in a parking stall.
- Supervise your children as they are not to play at the church.
Student Safety to and from School
To keep your children safe walking to and from, please teach your children the following safety guidelines. Children must walk on sidewalks and not through parking lots or driveways. Instruct your child to cross streets at intersections and walk in crosswalks.
- Establish with your child the safest route to and from school.
- Students should never cross streets in the middle of the block or between parked cars.
- Instruct your child to walk, not run, when crossing streets.
- Provide appropriate response for your child if approached by strangers.
- Establish which neighbors are home during the day, and ask if they are willing to provide a safe haven for your child in case of an emergency.
- Do not double park and have your child enter or exit your car in the middle of the street.
- Children should not walk through the parking lot unless accompanied by parents/guardians.
- Please drive slowly and with caution on streets around the school and in the parking lot.